Monday, April 6, 2009

Currying flavor

I'd been hankering for curry and potatoes for some time, more so when I found out that turmeric has cancer preventing properties (An Apple a Day, Joe Schwarz, PhD).

I took some unpeeled baby potatoes and parboiled them for five minutes, dunking them afterwards in cold water before peeling and cutting them into chunks. Then I chopped a whole tomato and a large clove of garlic and layered them inside an aluminum foil pouch, placing the tomatoes first, then the garlic and the potatoes. Over this I sprinkled the curry powder and some chili powder, then a generous drizzle of olive oil. You can add salt if you want but I don't, since my salad dressing is already seasoned.

I closed up the packet but left a small opening for steam to escape, then placed this on a wire strainer suspended over a pot with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot, or about 1/8 cup. I replaced the lid of the pot, set my stove to its lowest setting and let the whole thing cook for 45-60 minutes. You'll know it's done when the tomatoes' skins look like they're about to curl up, or when their flesh gives little resistance when prodded with a spoon. All the while the dish is roasting, a perfume of turmeric and roasting garlic fills my room with a sweet pungency.


The yellow of the potatoes is enhanced by the turmeric, while the brilliant red tomatoes provide a pretty complement. The dish is a good accompaniment to a vegetable salad with a mild-flavored dressing, or to fried, roasted or baked meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment