Monday, April 20, 2009

Enrollment day

I finished enrolling at Global today. I submitted my papers - a photocopy of my birth certificate and official school transcript, a 2x2 and 1x1 picture with a white background and an admission fee of P300. Incoming students are also required to submit a medical certificate with the results of a chest x-ray, blood test, urinalysis and fecalysis.

Afterwards I was asked to write an essay about why I wanted to go into professional cooking. I was then told that I no longer needed to go through an entrance interview and exam - my leaden prose and professional background sufficed to convince the admissions director that I might someday be competent enough to apply fire and steel to foodstuffs, turn them into edible things people can eat and actually get diners to fork over their money for me to do so.

I was given a copy of the school's brochure outlining the curriculum and setting down the school fees:

Grand Diploma in Professional Culinary, Baking and Pastry Arts
Full payment: P195,000 (includes tuition and fees with uniforms, hand-outs and textbook), minus P20,000 for full and early bird payments made before April 30
Monthly payment plan: Discount of P10,000 for payments made before April 30
P70,000 upon enrollment
P40,000 second payment via postdated cheque (July 16)
P40,000 third payment via postdated cheque (August 13)
P25,000 fourth payment via postdated cheque (September 10)
P10,000 fifth payment via postdated cheque (October 8)

Diploma in Professional Culinary Arts
Full payment: P119,950 (includes tuition and fees with uniforms, hand-outs and textbook), minus P15,000 for payments made before April 30
Monthly payment plan: Discount of P5,000 for payments made before April 30
P40,000 upon enrollment
P30,000 second payment via postdated cheque (July 16)
P30,000 third payment via postdated cheque (August 13)
P14,950 fourth payment via postdated cheque (September 10)

Certificate in Professional Baking and Pastry Arts
Full payment: P88,000 (includes tuition and fees with uniforms, hand-outs and textbook), minus P15,000 for the early-bird discount
Monthly payment plan: P50,000 upon enrollment
P38,000 second payment via postdated cheque

Certificate in Basic Professional Cooking
Full payment: P23,000

Certificate in Basic Professional Baking and Pastry Arts
Full payment: P23,000


Yes, going to cookery school is expensive; it's not something you can drop out of later on when you decide it doesn't suit you.

I happily signed my money, and a year of my life, away for the Grand Diploma, opting for the installment payment option. Class will start on June 22. The next intake is in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment