Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Gardening hype

If you had told me one year ago that I would get all worked up over a pail of decomposing organic matter, I would probably have let one of my insulting cackles loose at you. And yet, here I am, all excited over my purchase of a fruit/vegetable drainer, a small garbage bin and a budget pack of trowel, transplanter and gardening fork.

The drainer and the bin will be reworked into an improvised composting bin, while the gardening tools... go figure.

My roommate A and I went window-shopping at a hardware yesterday, where we peered gleefully at all the pretty little pots, planters and gardening implements displayed on the shelves. Now I don't know what that means if one gets all flushed at the sight of shovels and pruning shears – whether that means one has gone forward or backward on the evolutionary scale. A and I don't care anyway.

The thing is, we can't wait to start gardening. She wants to raise some ornamentals while I look forward to growing my own vegetables. I will start with lettuce, which I am told is a “no-brainer” crop, then attempt some tomatoes. A has had a decent gardening track record, while with this black thumb of mine which has killed several houseplants, cacti and nearly devastated an aloe, I have not really grown anything yet, not even leaf mold or nitrogen-fixing bacteria.

Growing my own veggies would cut down on food costs, plus I get the benefit of eating organic and freshly picked produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment