Friday, September 11, 2009

Power dressing: Alain Ducasse

For the acclaimed chef's acolytes. I haven't "discovered" him yet - I'm still in my Julia Child and Susur Lee worship stage.

Alain Ducasse, 53, is a French chef and holds three Michelin stars in three countries. He operates restaurants in Monaco, New York, Paris and at the Dorchester Hotel in London. In 2003 the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences named him the ‘Finest Chef in the World’.

Suit by Georges Feghaly
At work I wear chef’s whites in Egyptian cotton. I once designed a range of chef’s uniforms – though I don’t think I’d have the talent to design normal clothes. I wear classic suits a lot, always with a white handkerchief in the breast pocket. I also have some red stitching on the lapel of my jackets – that’s for the Légion d’Honneur. Once you've accepted the honour you're meant to put the red stitching on every suit. I keep it pretty small. But I still get asked a lot about it, outside of France at least.

The suits are all made in Monaco by Georges Feghaly, a Lebanese designer friend of mine, but I wear them because I like them, not out of loyalty. He uses Loro Piana fabrics – and sober ones. He usually has good ideas but once persuaded me to buy red trousers. I wore them once while on holiday on an island. They made me look as though I’d fallen into a pot of paint.
feghalygeorges@imcn.net

Shirt by Georges Feghaly
Georges usually makes my shirts and ties. I have my shirts tailor-made because I love the cotton Georges uses and it makes for a better fit. He makes a special shirt with a collar tab for the tie. He also likes to monogram my shirts. It’s like being back at school, you always know that it’s your shirt if you lose it.

Shoes by Alden
I buy all my shoes in the US, usually at Barneys New York, and all from the same company – Alden. They’re made of horse leather and I only buy them in black or brown. I have a suitcase full of new pairs in case they stop making them. Being a chef I’m used to being on my feet a lot, so comfortable shoes are very important, and these are very comfortable. They have some metal in them somewhere though, so I always set off alarms in airports.
www.aldenshoe.com

Watch by Audemars Piguet
I like this watch because it’s so slender. Like a lot of men now, I collect a few watches – enough to make sure I always get the time right.
www.audemarspiguet.com

Glasses by Oliver Peoples
Like my shoes, I only wear the one style, which I’ve been wearing for 20 years now. Keeping it simple is a bit of a life philosophy for me.
www.oliverpeoples.com

Source: Financial Times

No comments:

Post a Comment