Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 6: In which we learn about kitchen staples and I suffer mortification via red wine vinegar

We tasted different herbs and spices, later taking part in a graded tasting exercise. Each member of the class was blindfolded and asked to distinguish between turmeric and curry. Then we were asked to taste an herb - mine was tarragon - and a vinegar. After this we took our blindfolds off and attempted to pick out by sight the nut or spice specified by our instructor.

I scored six out of seven in the exercise, only getting red wine vinegar wrong (I thought it was white wine vinegar). That is really quite mortifying because I consume red wine vinegar everyday - it's part of the vinaigrette for the Luto-lutuan staple, the salad. The vinegar used for the exercise was even the same brand that I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment