Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 2: In which we learn how to nattily tie a scarf, choose nourishing ingredients, not set the building on fire and make toxic green cream sauce

Chef Vic began our class by showing us how to put on our uniforms correctly. The apron, we learned, is not for wiping one's hands, as some believe, but for shielding our legs from heat. He also taught us how to tie our scarves properly. I've always thought our navy blue scarves add a nice touch to our uniform, making us look smarter and a little more lively, as if any minute we would break out into a jig. We fold the triangular neckerchief in half lengthwise twice, then knot it much like yuppies do their ties. I still do it awkwardly - I have not arrived at creaseless perfection yet - but I hope I'll get there someday. Otherwise, you might think, I'm doomed: how can I remember everything I'm supposed to learn if I can't even tie my scarf right.

We then moved on to a lecture on nutrition. Besides reviewing your usual carbs-proteins-fats-vitamins-minerals codex characteristic of food science, we also got to see the different food pyramids representing Asian, Mediterranean and Latin American diets. Canadians, we learned, use a "rainbow" instead of a pyramid.

Then we learned how to identify some essential kitchen equipment. We viewed a slideshow and - yippee! - stepped into the kitchen for the first time. Chef Vic showed us more kitchen tools, sternly reminding us not to put undercooked potatoes in the masher - it will break and we'll have to replace it - and to always use a stainless steel pan when preparing acidic and cream-based food. If we use pots and/or whisks made of aluminum, the food will react with the metal and turn an unappetizing (and poisonous) shade of green.

We learned how to open and shut the gas line and some basic safety procedures. One by one, we practiced lighting the stove and oven. I was gently corrected when I lit the burner in front of me first - it makes more sense to turn on the one farthest from me first so I don't burn myself (drat! See how smartly I conduct myself!). The ovens were a lot trickier - very few people managed to fire them up because the igniters started dying on us. We are going to try the exercise again on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment