Monday, July 13, 2009

A week in culinary school: An assessment

It's been exactly a week since I began going to culinary school. In that week I've had a 50-item quiz, a midterm, a graded tasting exercise and a written HACCP assignment. I've been in the kitchen twice, but not yet to cook.

Let me talk about the program I am enrolled in first. Global's Grand Diploma (GD) in professional cooking, baking and pastry arts appears rigorous enough, laying a thorough theoretical and skills groundwork for would-be professional cooks. One thing I would like to see added to the program though is a specialized module on wine.

My school schedule, 6-9pm on Tuesday-Friday, is suited for working professionals. GD and Diploma in Culinary Arts (DPCA) students take cuisine classes together for the first five levels, then GD students who pass cuisine move on to baking, classes of which are held in the morning or afternoon.

I like the school's emphasis on gaining practical skills - starting with Level 2, each Diploma course student is required to log in at least 10 hours per module as an assistant to an industry-recognized chef. Those hours are different from the industry training or on-the-job-training - 600 hours for GD students, 480 hours for other professional programs. I had previously worried about how I was going to practice what I was learning - irony of ironies, I live in a place where the landlady forbids us to cook inside our rooms.

The school has a spacious kitchen that can amply accommodate a class of 21 students. What I wish the school would improve on is its washroom - there is only one bathroom for each sex and a common sink.

It's been a great week so far, and I'm having a blast, notwithstanding the kilometers I have to walk everyday - but it's great exercise! - and the 5-ton book I have to lug around daily - but it's great exercise!

3 comments:

  1. Hey. I like your blog, especially reading about what you've learned. Please do talk about your life and adventures as a culinary arts student. Keep up the good work, and more power to Pinoy blogs!

    -icq

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, icq. Am doing my best, time and schedule permitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always read your blog, me too i enrolled in global and i feel nervous and excited. the class will start this coming june

    ReplyDelete