Monday, July 27, 2009

My knife bag

I bought a knife roll yesterday to carry my knives and tools around. It's black, made of canvas, attracts lint and is uncompromisingly ugly. The edges are even frayed because they catch on the velcro straps that hold the bag shut. I had no choice because it was the last one available and I had already walked through sheeting rain to get to the store. (I'll upload the photo tomorrow).

Here in the Philippines, chefs don't have too many options for expressing their personal style through their clothes and accessories. They are always limited to the standard white or black coat, checked pants, black socks and clogs.

While one can probably find colorful aprons, oven mitts, towels or silicone mats in any mall in the country, the options for knife bags are mostly limited to black, beige, blue or red, all in dire-looking plain canvas.

The Chefy Store, managed by chef Giannina Gonzalez, has some colorful printed options made out of either photo canvas, nylon or microfibre. Her materials are imported from Hong Kong and the bag has slots for 8 tools, plush a mesh pocket inside for small implements. Very pretty and quite reasonable at only P1,500 (add P300 if being delivered), but I'm not so convinced about its durability and functionality. I'm not sure if I can fit everything I need into the bag, and if it will have room to grow with me. Banditgear sells similarly colorful patterned and monochromatic bags that can fit 12 tools.

The Chefy Store's Licorice bag:


My favorite ones, however, are the leather versions owned by Eric Ripert and Barbara Lynch. Lynch went on to market hers as the Knivblad satchel. My current obsession, sparked by The New York Times' The Moment blog, is to have my own leather knife roll.

Barbara Lynch's knife roll (the new and old ones):


The exterior of Lynch's bag, which is made of luxuriously soft suede:


‘‘I think knives deserve to be carried in style,’’ says Ripert, who owns this leather-and-suede beauty:

I've contacted a leatherworker to see if I can have a similar one made. The initial estimate is P3,500. I might have one made as a gift to myself when I graduate, or I just might be crazy enough to order one this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment